As part of our commitment to being a Welcoming Congregation, UUMeriden sponsors the LGBTIQQA gathering group for members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer and Questioning community, as well as their Allies.
Who Are We?
As our name suggests, we are a group of people - members of the LGBTIQQA community who gather together for a number of purposes including discussion, mutual support and outreach.
What started out as a safe space created by the UUMeriden Social Justice Council following the "Coming Out" day celebration in 2011, the UUMeriden LGBTIQQA gathering group is now a regular bi-monthly meeting of members of the community and their allies. We are open to any interested people, not just members of UUMeriden. In fact, we have a growing connection with members of Center Congregational Church (UCC) of Meriden and members from that congregation as well.
When Do We Meet?
We meet on the First and Third Sunday of every month from 12:30 - 2:00 PM at the UUMeriden Meetinghouse - most often in one of the Religious Education Classrooms (signs will be posted to point you in the right direction.)
What Do We Do?
• We gather to talk about issues concerning our attendees under a covenant of respect and confidence.
• We plan and sponsor outreach activities to the greater community including . . .
• TEEN SAFE SPACE
• LGBTIQQ HOMELESS YOUTH PROJECT
• PRIDE MONTH "OUT"-DOOR PICNIC / POTLUCK
• PRIDE MONTH / LGBTIQQA DISPLAYS
• TRANSGENDER DAY OF REMEMBRANCE SERVICE
• CHRISTMAS EVE HOLIDAY MEAL
• OPEN MIC NIGHTS
• GENDERBREAD PERSON WORKSHOP